[mythtv-users] Looking for your experience

David myth at dgreaves.com
Fri Sep 3 15:56:19 EDT 2004

Aaron Griffin wrote:

>Hey all,
>I must first admit, I am a newbie to MythTV, although that's not my
>reason for this.  I'm going to use you all for your experience in
>dealing with the hardware side of this...

You have read the archives and done some research haven't you?

>Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on the *BEST* hardware setup...
>the cost isn't that much of an issue....
>

>Current Plan->
>TV-in: PVR-250
>TV-out: No clue...I have an All-in-wonder so I need to buy a new one

any half decent VGA -> LCD or DLP projector - awsome.
Make sure it can run 'odd' resolutions.

>Processor: Most likely AMD 2000-3000 or something
>Case/Mobo/Form Factor: Anyone research this and find something really
>cool that's not a Shuttle (too expensive for what you get)?

have a diskless 'frontend' in an Antec Minuet and a remote server

>Hard Drives: How much, how snappy? I'll probably be recording about
>1-2hours a day and deleting it after I watch

with a couple of 200 Gb disks

>Sound Card: I'm assuming Audigy 2 Platinum, anything better?

Yep an el cheapo and a proper 5.1 amp fed using SPDIF - much better than
any analog soundcard output.

>DVD-ROM: How fast to emulate a store bought DVD player?

1x (doh!)
Anything quicker is also noisier.

>As far as the distro goes, I'll be using ArchLinux (www.archlinux.org)
>because it's the best distro ever 8)... although if I end up settling
>for a less powerful machine, I may try gentoo for the little
>performance boosts....

Why? you're hardly ever going to use it (it is a dedicated system isn't
it?) Use KnoppMyth and make your life easy.

>I am building this for me and my girlfriend, and the total cost isn't
>THAT big of a deal.... because I'm doing it for her (awwwwww, how
>cute!)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Aaron Griffin

David