[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD's in a Mythvideo-compatible way?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 13:13:18 EDT 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 12:31, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Nate Carlson wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'd like to rip DVD's in a way that they will be fully compatible
> > with Mythvideo (IMDB and all that stuff); prefer not to use the
> > MythDVD frontend, if possible (I'd like to do it on my file server
> > and my workstation, neither of which have any MythTV-related stuff
> > installed). I'd also like to not preserve any of the special
> > features or menus - just want the video itself.
> >
> > Anyone have a script to do this, perchance?
>
> I make heavy use of this:
>
> http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

I'll second that... dvdrip is a great tool.  If it weren't for the
convenience of ripping with MythDVD, I'd use dvdrip exclusively for my
rips.

The one big thing (for me) that dvdrip has over ripping with MythDVD is
subtitles.  MythDVD currently gives you only 2 choices:  no subtitles
at all, or subtitles permanently rendered onto the video.  With dvdrip,
I can rip the subtitles separately.  I place them in a special
directory in my MythVideo hierarchy.  I have my default video player in
MythVideo configured to be a perl script that I cooked up; if it finds
a subtitle file for the video it launches mplayer with the appropriate
options to be able to display them; otherwise it just plays the video
without them.  I'd love to be able to do subtitle rips this way with
MythDVD; it's really not complicated (just another piece of the
transcode package, IIRC), but I haven't had the time to delve into it.

> Even has facilities to cluster your machines to speed the transcode
> process.

Yeah, I've never used that facility because I only have one Linux box
(well, not technically true, but the other one is a Pentium-MMX 166 :-)

-JAC