[mythtv-users] Does MythTV Obviate a DVD Player?

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Fri Sep 3 03:18:34 EDT 2004

Michael T. Dean wrote, On 9/2/2004 3:00 PM:
> I personally like my Myth box better than a stand-alone DVD player
> because I can apply filters to the output (i.e. xine's chain reaction)
> to improve (or, at least, adjust to my taste) picture quality.  I'm
> using an old 6x DVD-ROM I bought in 1999, and it works like a charm...

The only reason I haven't gotten rid of my DVD player yet is that I'm
not sure what the best route to get 5.1 digital out sound working.  Any
suggested setups?  Right now I'm using using standard analog 2ch sound
from my onboard VT8233...  Works fine for TV and cable recordings, but
doesn't cut it for DVDs.  Any tips or documentation anyone can point me to?

Thanks,
Dave