[mythtv-users] Does MythTV Obviate a DVD Player?

Rob Nichols rob at robnet.com
Thu Sep 2 23:47:11 EDT 2004

On 09/02/2004 05:20 PM, John Smith wrote:
>If you have a MythTV box, is there any reason to
>get/have a stand-alone DVD player? I need to get a DVD
>player - the ones I was looking at had the Faroudja
>chip and were around $500. Does MythTV have all the
>functionality of these DVD players?

I can't answer your questions about the specific player... but that won't keep
me from replying anyway...  ;)

For a month or two I haven't used my "real" dvd player, a fairly old denon.  I
don't watch dvd's very often (since I have all of this great stuff myth
records for me), but those that I do have all worked fine.  I use xine.  To me
xine is better than a "real" player.  I can skip the mandatory advertisements
and warnings, and I find the movement (scan forwards and back) much nicer than
my "real" player (but that could just be my really old "real" player).  I also
have several regions 2 dvd's that xine plays fine.  (These are dvd's that I
personally and legally purchased in the UK of shows that have only been
released as region 2 dvd's...)

I was thinking just a couple of days ago that it was time to dispose of the
old "real" player...