[mythtv-users] My next Myth box

DTR dtr at edenforge.com
Thu Sep 2 10:42:00 EDT 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

> DTR wrote:
>
>> 6 grand for a p4 2.8, a 30 inch LCD and a set of toy speakers???  Ouch!
>>
>> For 6k you should be able to put together a put together a similar
>> package yourself with a real receiver and speakers that will peel the
>> paint off your walls.
>

> I already have a very nice Yamaha sound system (and it can peel paint),
> a 47" HDTV and an Athlon XP 3200 myth box. The price isn't the point.
> The form-factor is. You can't just "put together a similar package".

You mean the ugly-massive-integrated-LCD/CPU-eyesore-on-the-wall form
factor?   And you want to pay *extra* for that?

One of the main attractions of LCD is the tiny footprint and
elegant/slim profile.  So basically you are taking one of the best
features of LCDs, tossing it out the window, and charging extra for it.
  Meanwhile you can get a streamlined 30" LCD TV from Dell with the same
specs for $2500 and have $3500 left over for a machine which you can
toss inside a 1U/2U housing and fit right into your AV rack/media closet.