[mythtv-users] Is it possible to have both the release and cvs versions available?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Sep 1 14:02:12 EDT 2004

 	GNU Stow probably works fine, but I try to avoid Perl whenever
possible.  The light-weight "package manager" I use for just about everything I
roll myself is Encap:

You could very easily have one or the other installed and change them out.  All
files relating to a version live in something like:
Encap makes symlinks in /usr/local/ for everything recursively.  I swap out
versions of stuff all the time (like if soemthing needs a moldy old gcc-2.7.2).
Installing there is generally as easy as:

cd someprogram_src-1.0
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/encap/someprogram-1.0
make install
epkg -i someprogram

The only gotcha with it for mythtv would be the database being up/down-graded.
Otherwise, it'd be fine.

* Cory Papenfuss							*
* Electrical Engineering Ph.D. Graduate Student                         *
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 			*