[mythtv-users] Overlapping channels and program info duplication

Julian Edwards ed at julian-edwards.com
Sun Oct 31 17:20:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 01:17, Bruce Markey wrote:
> One thing that is a potential issue in situations like this is
> that just because it is the station doesn't necessarily mean
> the listings are identical. People have mentioned that they get
> a station part of the day on one source and 24hrs from another
> source. Sometimes there is a digital and analog channel where the
> digital has some special extra programming that isn't on analog.
> However, if your grabbing the exact same XML this can't be an
> issue for your data even if there are issues for your channels.

That's an extremely good point that had not occurred to me.  Although
you could argue that technically they're different channels if they have
different programming.

> In this example, let's say I have two cards. One coax has channels
> 2-999 the other has 2-99. the right thing to do is to set source 1
> for 2-999, source 2 2-99, stop reading this and go back to taking
> care of your infant child.

Having read the rest of your reply, that's a very good suggestion :)

> Anyway, don't do this.

You're right, I'm not looking for that kind of trouble.

As I said in another message, my main aim is to remove the duplication
in the downloaded data from the listings provider (we don't want to piss
them off now do we?).  I think what I'll do is fudge a script that will
download everything once and then craft the XML files appropriate for
each source.  I'll have to think about how to make it work a bit more
generically so it works in other situations as you describe.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed reply, at least I know I wasn't doing
anything too stupid.

Julian Edwards
http://www.julian-edwards.com/