[mythtv-users] OT: CPU temperatures

Dave david.collett at dart.net.au
Sun Oct 31 09:02:02 UTC 2004

Slightly OT...
In the quest for a quiet myth box, what temperature should one hope to
stay under for an athlon-xp (barton) 2500+?

I am using one of the older 'fan' style Zalmans coolers in quiet mode
(ie. fanmate turned right down). I've had the poor thing flatout
encoding mp3s for the last 30 hours or so. CPU core temp sits at ~65
degrees C, case temp ~50 C. This is kinda hot, but is it ok? It doesnt
seem to care, hit 68 C at one point. Frankly I dont care how hot it gets
provided it doesnt a) die, or b) set my house on fire.

So is mid-high 60's C ok for an athlon??

On a related note, I have been playing with the cpufreq kernel patch for
nforce2 motherboards. For those that dont know, cpufreq is the kernel
subsystem used for CPU frequency throttling which is common on laptops.
nforce motherboards allow the FSB to be changed 'on-the-fly' (without
affecting RAM/PCI bus speeds) meaning you can use cpufreq with regular
athlon CPU's (not -M) by changing FSB rather than multiplier. It works
really well. At idle my CPU runs at just 500Mhz and functions
perfectly :) watching live TV (dvb-t), the CPU stabilises at about
1.2Ghz. It instantly jumps back to full speed as required.

Dave

--
Dave <david.collett at dart.net.au>