[mythtv-users] Overlapping channels and program info duplication

Julian Edwards ed at julian-edwards.com
Sat Oct 30 11:26:48 UTC 2004

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Why are you worried about the duplicated data?  The XML download is a
> minor operation that takes place probably while you are sleeping and
> the extra data in the database in miniscule compared to your
> recordings in terms of disk usage.  With the dual channel setup, you
> are able to record on either card for the overlapping channels which
> is ideal for scheduling...

I am just trying to be kind to the data provider (Radio Times).  The
amount of data that overlaps is not trivial.  I've also had scheduling
issues when the program data is not quite the same for the same channel
on a different source because of download problems.

I guess I could knock up a script that manipulates the data but I think
the database model is slightly wrong in this respect.  It would probably
be better if you could attach multiple video sources to a capture card
so that the common ones are downloaded only once.

BTW, I'm rarely sleeping when the data's downloaded - I have a 6 month
old son :)