[mythtv-users] Remote front-end questions

anders smith anders at smiths.dk
Fri Oct 29 21:02:30 UTC 2004

The xbox route is absolute worthwhile
I have a double pvr250 backend and two xboxes (one older and one brand
new) as frontends and it works great.

There is a new UXE pactchset by Ldots that softmods the xbox and it's
easy as can be when you have the right pieces (game, modified
controller, memorystick and the patch as well as xebian cd) it takes me
a 5 minutes to do the mod and then 1 hour for the xebian/myth
install.... Check on xbox-scene for hints and bit.blkbk.com for sw.

I've been testing different stream sizes etc while I had top running on
front and backends and it looks like the xboxes perform really well

it has some nice features like the remote, led feedback regarding
recording status, small footprint and relatively low noise (with a
slowed fan)... send me a mail if you have any questions as it can be
hard finding the different howtos and sw pieces.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial...but I'm really positively
surprised with my new toys (just finished the last install a few hours
ago)

My old m10k epia was quieter, but more computer like and less
integrated even when I used a small case so also a worthwhile route,
but I also like the low price point (less than epia mb alone) courtesy

rgds
anders