[mythtv-users] Alternate IR receiver with PVR-x50

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 28 23:48:58 UTC 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 15:36, Matthew Conway wrote:
> I know that the IR receiver that comes with the PVR-x50's does not
> work with the Tivo remote, but is it possible to modify and plug a
> different IR receiver into the port on the PVR-x50 and get it to work
> that way?

I don't believe so.

> That is, is the hauppage protocol decoded in the receiver
> or the card?

The card. The receiver part is pretty generic, probably the same thing used by
other cards. I think it simply redirects the IR pulses down the cable to the
card, which then sends them over to lircd for processing.

> If this is possible, then I guess it might also be
> possible to modify the receiver to work in a serial port and use
> lirc_serial to enable use of the Tivo with the hauppage receiver.

Perhaps.

> The reason I ask is that I'd like to use a Tivo remote, but don't have
> a spare serial port to hook up an alternate IR receiver.  I guess I
> could get a USB receiver, but I'm being cheap =)

Sorry. On the bright side, the MCE USB receiver I have kicks the crap out of
the PVR-x50 dongle. Way better reception capabilities (range, directionality,
etc).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com