[mythtv-users] MythRecommend module, gathering stage... [was: Collaborative recommended viewing revisited...]

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Thu Oct 28 17:51:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 12:46 -0400, Andrew Plumb wrote:
> Hmmm....  Add a hook to bitTorrent and I think you'd have a winner.
>
> My MythTV box went down yesterday (previous night actually) so I
> missed that episode of Lost (best series I've seen since Babylon5
> w.r.t. story arc).  Fortunately, someone had already converted it into
> an AVI and had it available via bitTorrent, so I can play it back on
> my PMP-120.

Thats a completely different project for another time. ;)

I hope to try my hand at a distributed commercial flagging system next.
Something similar to MythRecommend, only instead of recommending new
shows, it'll recommend commercial flags.

The theory being that most machines wouldn't have to spend 30-60minutes
flagging commercials, they could instead just query a central database
and download "best guess" flags, and "confirm" them with the local copy
of the recording.

Not only that, but hopefully it'll greatly improve the commercial
flagging accuracy, so two 7 minute long commercials, 30 seconds apart
aren't so frequent. ;)

If it works out, it may also give us a good data sampling so we can find
exactly which episodes, or channels cause the most problems for the
commercial flagger, so it can be better tuned.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>