[mythtv-users] License

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:26:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:23:43 +0200, Steven
<mythmail at richardstraat.homedns.org> wrote:
> Asciimonster wrote:
> > jman at neonramp.com wrote:
> >
> >> With a complete install of Mythtv on FC-2 are there any license
> >> considerations that are outside the scope of GNUGPL that would require
> >> action if I were to build a system and sell it to a company?
> >>

> > You should check hardware. It should be stated in the README's of the
> > modules (drivers). Most of them are also (GNU)GPL, but some have
> > restricions. For instance, the Linuxant modules
> > (http://www.linuxant.com/ , for Connexant-compatible modems, which is
> > nearly 90% of all the PCI modems you can buy here in the Netherlands) is
> > not under the GPL, and for an un-castrated module you have to pay $20
> > (about as much as the darned thing costs) or so, while the Windows
> > drivers are free... :-(
> >
> There is also some rescritions in the Mysql licence about commercial use
> and there are the mp3 and DVD playback issues.

I'm not so sure about the mp3 and DVD issues. I'm pretty sure that
those libraries are GPL. The only issues might be around patents which
might cover the mp3 algorithms and possible DMCA issues wrt the DVD
decss libraries. The effect of those issues would depend to some
extent on what country you live it.

Also, as someone else pointed out, MySQL is available under a GPL license.

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003