[mythtv-users] HD activity at begining of recording

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Wed Oct 27 15:41:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 10:42, Kyle Rose wrote:
> James Orr <james at orrwhat.net> writes:
>
> > About my system:
> > Gentoo
> > Kernel 2.6.7
> > bttv video capture card
> > Recordings directory is mounted via NFS
>
> Perhaps your NFS server is too slow, and NFS requests are backing up?
> See if dmesg reports "NFS server not responding".  Make sure DMA
> writes are turned on on your NFS server.

I don't think it's a problem on the NFS server side as I can hear the
drive grinding on the backend when this happens.  dmesg is not giving
that message.  DMA is on for both the remote NFS drive and the local
drive.

> If your database is still local to the backend, maybe the markup
> writes are backing up?  I can't believe this is the case since that
> shouldn't be that much data; but you might want to *try* to reduce
> /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs to 100 and see if that fixes
> the problem.

database is remote, it's actually on the same computer as the NFS
server.

Somebody else mentioned memory swapping, I have 512MB on the backend
machine.  top reports I have 234920K free right now, it's not recording
at the moment.  32K of swap memory is in use.  I'll try and see what
happens when it starts recording (next scheduled is in 20 minutes).

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>