[mythtv-users] Which filesystem deletes large files the fastest?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Oct 26 18:31:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:28:36PM -0400, David Muench wrote:
> > Which FS deletes large files the fastest, without loosing too much when
> > it crashes?
>
> I'm very pleased with JFS, it seems to delete things instantly. XFS also
> worked very well for me in the past, but when I rebuilt my backend I
> decided to try JFS this time around.

I'll second JFS.  It is fast and robust.  I used to use Reiser, but had
trouble with blocks from various files becoming intermixed in the event
of a crash.  From what I have read, XFS may have that problem (or null
blocks), but not as severe.  I have never tried XFS firsthand so can't
say one way or the other myself.