[mythtv-users] channel changing incredibly slow

Evan Burrows eburrows at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:33:05 UTC 2004

This is actually a part part question..

I was wondering if you guys could help me out.  Thanks to all your
help i can now use my myth box to watch live tv.  Currently I am using
the remote that came with my cable box to change channels until i can
set up an IR blaster and get that working (i am sure that will be a
whole other adventure in itself). Searching through the forums i came
across this link(http://members.cox.net/rwraithr/IRBlaster_Howto.txt)
that i will give a shot when i get the required hardware.  In the
tutorials it mentions buying the Actisys IR-200L. Will I need anything
else to set up this IR Blaster? I am not sure how any of this works
and if i put an order in I want to make sure that it is complete so i
don't have to go running around for parts.

Ok bu back to my original question.  Like i said i am using my cable
box remote to change the channels.   The digital cable is fed to my
myth box from the cable box via svideo and then fed to the tv via
svideo for viewing.  What can i do to speed up channel changing?  I
know there has to be some delay because of buffering but it is
ridiculous and after changing the channel 3 or 4 channels want to beat
your head against a wall.  Currently it takes between 5-7 seconds i
would say for the tv to recognize the use has requested to change the
channel and for it to actual do so.  Is this somehting that I have to
live with?  Because the wife said i have to toss my myth box if that
is the end result.  Any help would be truly appreciated.

thanks,
Evan