[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with FX5200 TV-Out

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 25 19:32:29 UTC 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 01:01, Dan Lanciani wrote:
> I've been playing with the TV-Out on an FX5200 to display ATSC content from
> a pcHDTV.  I see a lot of motion artifacts in the form of short black lines
> around moving objects.  I'm not at all sure that these are (de)compression
> artifacts as I have seen similar problems caused by color encoder or
> interlace glitches.  In any case, the same program on the same TV sourced
> from an old DTC-100 shows no problems, so it isn't intrinsic to the stream.
>  Is there anything I should be tweaking or should I look for a different
> TV-Out card?

Try turning on deinterlacing in the frontend setup for playback.

> (And if a different card, which one?)

nVidia is as good as it gets for HDTV playback in Myth. Not sure if anyone has
tried much of anything else... The only other card I'd possibly consider is a
Radeon though.

> A couple of other things I noticed:
>
> The driver seems to ignore the TVOverScan option, and it really needs some
> overscan. :)  I know it's seeing the configuration section correctly
> because it honors the NoLogo option, and both options show up in the X
> server's log.

Hrm... I'll have to look at my secondary box...

> There is something funny going on with aspect ratios and/or scaling.  Most
> of the ATSC programming here is really 4:3 presented in 16:9 format with
> black bars on the sides.  When I display this on the normal VGA monitor in
> default 16:9 mode I see it letter boxed as expected such that the 4:3 image
> is centered with black bars on all four sides.  If I use the W command to
> select 16:9 Zoom mode I get approximately the right result with the 4:3
> picture full-screen.

That does sound like the expected behavior...

> When I display in default 16:9 format on the TV I see the 4:3 image against
> the right side side of the screen with black on the left, top, and bottom.
> (In spite of this, selecting 16:9 Zoom mode again does the right thing.)
> If I had real 16:9 material I think I would be missing a chunk on the
> right. Thoughts?

...but that definitely doesn't... Do you have any real 16:9 material you can
verify that with? I might have to play with some HDTV streams on my
analog-tv-connected Myth box (also using an nVidia card for output)...

> Of course, none of this matters much if I can't get rid
> of the motion artifacts...

Definitely try the deint filters.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE