[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 25 18:59:03 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 22:31, Dan Lanciani wrote:
> Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> |Second, why on earth would you want to output=
> |=20
> |HDTV content through an SVideo connection that is 720x480, interlaced?
>
> Because I don't care about "H"DTV.  I just want ATSC reception converted
> to NTSC.
>
> |You'=
> |d=20
> |effectively be down-sampling the ATSC signal back down to NTSC,
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I want.
>
> |so why even=
> |=20
> |bother?
>
> Because analog will eventually go away and even now ATSC offers me a
> picture with less ghosting and interference.
>
> |For HDTV, you really need to be outputting to your TV via VGA, DVI =
> |or=20
> |component for it to be worthwhile.
>
> Well, clearly this is a matter of opinion (as suggested by the existence of
> set top boxes that receive ATSC and downconvert to NTSC as necessary).  My
> TVs do not have VGA, DVI, or component inputs.

Ah, sorry. Bad assumption on my part, assumed you were outputting to an HDTV.

> It's possible that I misunderstood the generality of the MythTV model.  I
> thought that the pcHDTV card was just another source of input and the
> PVR-350 just another output device.

As Taylor pointed out, I wasn't entirely correct in my general statement that
the 350's output can't handle ATSC-sized frames. It definitely can't handle
1080i and 720p content though.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=hdtv+350&search_type=AND

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE