[mythtv-users] The Ultimate Myth Setup

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 19:02:48 UTC 2004

--- Robbie Hughes <spam at dynsysgroup.com> wrote:

> I've built a few myth boxes before, but I've been
> handed a challenge and
> I wanted some advice and I thought you guys might
> have some neat ideas.

Each TV will need its own "frontend" system which will
handle decoding and playback.  Because the work is
distributed, having a dual-Xeon backend is probably
overkill.  You are receiving satellite signals, which
means you will need two sat receivers and an encoder
card for each one (probably a PVR-250).  Backend
computation needs are pretty modest, except when
commercial flagging or transcoding.  I would advise
you to use at least a 4x multiswitch on the sat
antenna, so you could add more receivers in the
future.  Don't forget to pull at least four RG-6 coax
from the attic to your backend system, for future
expansion.

I hope your rich friend has somewhat an "early
adopter" mindset, because he will need to learn how to
reboot the frontend and backend from time to time.
Mine is getting more stable each week, but I still
need to kick off the backend multiple times if it
should be shutdown while flagging commercials.  It's
just the nature of the project -- at least at present.