[mythtv-users] OT how do I calculate 2hrs to fit on std dvd

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 10:31:02 UTC 2004

> I'm curious how to get 2 hours of quality video on 1 dvd. I
> don't have a problem creating a dvd but it seems like I
> either get really crappy quality or video files that would
> exceed 2 hours = 1 dvd.

I also have no problems getting 2 hours on a dvd. I record with dvd-special2
at 5000 bps with a peak of 7000. A typical 2 hour recording becomes about a
4.3GB DVD.

I use avidemux2 to cut commercials and the junk from the ppv previews and
then remultiplex it and burn it using a variation of the script found in the
mythtv docs.

PS - If a show will not fit, I use tcrequant to shrink it slightly.

tcrequant -i infile -o outfile -f 1.1 <--- will shrink the file by about 10%
without noticably affecting quality. Any more then that and the quality
starts to suffer.