[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause problem - my conclusions - 2.6 kernel

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 22 22:41:02 UTC 2004

]I was using a 2.6.5 kernel with no problems, but just yesterday I upgraded to a
]2.6.8 kernel and now I'm getting the prebuffering pauses, I can fix it if
]nothing else is running on the box and renice mythfrontend to -19, thankfully I
]don't watch livetv often.  I'm thinking it could be as simple as one single
]option I enabled in this new kernel version that is causing the problem.  I did
]a diff on my .config's for the two versions and could not notice anything that
]could have caused the problem, although I don't really know what I'm looking
]for.  It could also be my version of ivtv, I tried a few different versions
]yesterday, a couple from 0.2 and a few from 0.1 (one even caused a Kernel
]Panic) and ended up sticking with ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck104f, but now my dmesg is
]getting a lot of  "ivtv: VIM Restart" messages...

I think this may be a problem with changes in swap logic. Try running
"swapoff -a" as root. If that gets rid of the problem (it did on my
machine), then maybe my hunch is right.

A google revealed swapping problems have been cropping up in 2.6 lately,
you might want to try 2.6.9 if "swapoff -a" helps. (Or add more memory
if you can afford it ;)

-- daniel