[mythtv-users] Frontend hangs and loses conneciton to backend

James Purl forsgump at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 21:50:18 UTC 2004

Yes! I have an LVM2 partition on my main mythbox of 495GB (yes, thats
~1/2 TB), and almost like clockwork when it hits 91% full, the IOBOUND
errors.  I am using reiserfs and according to their site, once
partitions start getting close to full, performance can suffer.  On an
LVM2 partition of that size, the "suffering" is magnified to the point
that my system grinds to a halt virtually.  I witnessed the same
problem simply cp'ing a file to the same partition when it was 91%
full, which confirmed that MythTV was simply a victim of the system.
According to namesys, all filesystems suffer to some extent, so that
could be what you're seeing.

P.S. The reason my 495GB partition even got that full is I turned
MythTV loose on the Olympics with "Record when this program is on
anywhere" and it recorded EVERYTHING--basically filling all 4 of my
backends.  Doesn't take too many 4 hour HD sessions at 9 GB/hr to fill
that drive!  I keep holding onto those shows thinking I might watch it
some time before '08 :).