[mythtv-users] OT how do I calculate 2hrs to fit on std dvd

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:16:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:16:04 -0700 (PDT), Listman <listman at depfyffer.com> wrote:
> I'm curious how to get 2 hours of quality video on 1 dvd. I don't have a
> problem creating a dvd but it seems like I either get really crappy
> quality or video files that would exceed 2 hours = 1 dvd. Am I missing
> something does the file shrink when it gets converted to dvd? Is there a
> good formula for calculating the size of a video before you capture it.
> Does anyone have any links I could check out to educate myself on dvds and
> how nuppel video and other codecs play into things.

Hmm... I suppose it depends on what you mean by quality.

I record using a PVR-250 with the following settings, and I have no
problem getting 2 hours on a DVD. Granted, we're not talking
DVD-quality video, but I don't think I'm really losing much quality
compared to the original analog cable TV source.

For reference, here are my settings:

Video
Codec: MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder
Streamtype: DVD
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Bitrate: 3000
Max bitrate: 5000

Audio
Codec: MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder
Sampling rate: 32000
Type: Layer II
Bitrate: 320 kbps
Volume: 90%

I use the MPEG2->MPEG2 export option of nuvexport to cut commercials,
so no transcoding takes place.

HTH,
Lane
--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003