[mythtv-users] Wife Acceptance Factor question: dealing with crashes

Jason Werpy jwwerpy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:28:02 UTC 2004

> > > I should probably put in a section in big red letters pointing people to
> > > info on what info to provide when they have problems...
> >
> > That'd be cool.  No one seems to see it in the docs now, and I've given up
> > replying with the full URL to the docs.
>
> Simple suggestion... When myth starts pop up a dialogue box with a friendly
> message on how to report bugs and what information to include with a link to
> the docs. State that information on how to disable the dialogue box is in
> those docs ;) Make it a compile time or DB flag to allow it to be disabled
> for people building 'prepackaged' distributions such as knoppmyth ;)
>
> Matt

Oh, please don't.  You know, there are some users out there who do not
want to get the latest cvs and compile it with the debug options on.
I really don't want to see things like this.  I know where the
documents are already, I''ll send in bug reports if I find something
that really bothers me, but I haven't found anything like that in Myth
in almost a year.

Also a good example of crashes, which lead to me having a way (albeit
a simpistic one) to restart the frontend, is the "press a number
during playback" bug that existed in 0.15 (or 0.14?).  That bug would
crash the frontend every time, and its was know, but a lot of people
didn't want to get the CVS and compile it just to fix this minor
annoyance that only happened when you accidentially pressed number
button on the remote.

So yes, I think having a straigthforward way to deal with crashes it
OK.  There is a big difference between dealing with the small and
relatively minor hassle of restarting the frontend after a crash and
downloading the CVS, compiling it with debug on and reporting it.

Also, if a bug is just annoying and has been reported on the mailing
lists.  I'll be paitent to wait for the fix until the next release,
but I still need a way to restart the frontend until then.

On a side note, the frontend is really stable in 0.16, and for me the
backend has been real stable too.

To the developers:  Thank you for all your efforts.