[mythtv-users] backup device

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 21 22:19:24 UTC 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 14:56, Mercury Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:15:08 -0400, Tom E. Craddock, Jr.
>
> <sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:
> > Mercury Morris wrote:

> > >Mondo looks like it should almost be required
> > >for any well-managed installation.  Thanks Jarod,
> > >for bringing it to the mailing list.

No problem, though I've actually already mentioned it on the list several
times. :-)

> > >After reading thru the HOWTO PDF for Mondo etc.,
> > >I'm concerned with not being able to find all the
> > >packages that Mondo requires.  In fact, the very
> > >first package, afio, seems to have disappeared from
> > >Red Hat some time after Red Hat 6.0.
> > >
> > >Jarod, have you found that afio isn't really needed?

Its needed.

> > >Or, if it is needed, where did you find it?

For Fedora Core 2-specific packages:

http://boba.fastservers.net/mondo/download/MondoCD/RPMS/FDR/2.0/index.html

(that's one of the official mirrors, not just some random site)

> Having now found the missing packages,
> such as afio, is there any concern about
> installing packages that are two and a half
> years old onto up-to-date Fedora Core 2 ?

If you're downloading them from the link above, there shouldn't be any concern
at all.

> I can guess the answer.  All of the missing
> packages must have installed without any
> problems and Mondo/Mindi must perform
> well.  Otherwise, would Jarod have posted?

Nope. And I even know one of the developers personally, he's a big RH/FC guy,
works for Pogo Linux here near Seattle, and a member of my LUG(s).

> I suppose my questions might seem a bit
> ill-formed and not well thought out.  May be.
> But when it comes to backup, I have yet to trust
> anything that I didn't write myself.  I was only
> trying to get a feel for how much trust Jarod,
> and any other users of Mondo, have in it.

Understood. I trust it completely, been using it for over three years now.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...