[mythtv-users] Straighten me out here?

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:35:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:44:10 +0200, j2 <spamfilter2 at mupp.net> wrote:
> >I noticed later you have a 900GB system which
> > if it's running linux, you could always use NTFS for the video.
>
> NTFS? Uhm, do you mean NFS? Or am i missing something here? (Yes, it is a
> Linux box).
D'oh, yes NFS.... I still need to wake up this morning.

> Ah, but if all i want to do is play what i recorded with MythTV, it isnt an
> issue?
> But, what if i want to watch DVD's as well, then it isnt a good choise?
I'm not sure because I don't have one but I am going to guess that
you'd be better with something else if you wanted to watch dvds. If
all you want to do is play what you recorded it's not an issue. From
what I understand the PVR-350 will work to watch DVDs but you may end
up dropping frames. How bad will this be? I don't know. Perhaps
someone with a PVR-350 can chime in here.

> > lirc works well and integrates well with mythtv. The IR reciever that
> > comes with the PVR-250/350 works well. I got the PVR-250MCE which
> > doesn't have one and built a serial IR reciever for ~$10.
>
> I was more thinking that i want MytTV to control my set top box for
> recording.
Ah yes, I don't have this working myself because I'm just using
regular cable but it should work using an ir blaster. Also some cable
boxes have a serial port that you can use to control it that way.

> Thats actually not for me. I told a friend that i was pondering building a
> MythTV-box, he was a bit intrigued, but wanted to know if he could build one
> as well, and stream video via WLAN to his laptop. But my friend is really a
> Windows-only user, so, if there isnt a stable-and-native solution, it
> probably isnt for him yet.
Well the backend will probably never run on windows so if he wanted
something like that I would look at sage tv: http://www.sage.tv/ I
don't know what streaming options there are but I know it runs on
windows. Mythtv really isn't for windows only people. (at least
windows only people who don't want to learn linux)

> I think ill try Debian here as well, i am guessing that it cant really be
> THAT hard,.
It's not, just follow the directions. ;-)

--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi