[mythtv-users] Re: X runs at 90-95%CPU

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 21 05:09:22 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 15:49, Alan Anderson wrote:
> The chaintech appeared to be popular which is one reason I choose it.  Its
> possible the memory was part of the problem and I could have cooked
> something  It got real toasty with the fans running slow.  Im going through
> the mail order tech support trouble shooting process.  I found the bad
> memory a new one is being shipped.  Once that arrives I'll test with a
> spare disk then try it on a mandrake 10 system.  It is still fails im gonna
> lean on then for a new (uncooked) mother board, they deny connecting the
> fans to the wrong power supply.

:-)

> Fedora Core 1
> Kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.atcustom   Tuner patches to support
> newer pvr-250MCE tuner type.

You do know that Axel already has packages with those patches available so you
don't have to compile your own kernel, yes?

> The memory problem was found after I swapped the motherboard.  I did have
> issues wth the chaintech running Mythtv a 2700+ cpu and DDR333 memory
> underclocked FSB 100MHZ.  Even tried the on-board nvidia graphics (which
> cannot be used with a 3200+ cpu).

Uh, according to who? I ran a 3200+ on my 7NIF2 while using the onboard
graphics for ages before moving it to another board, no problems to speak
of... The only limitation of using the onboard graphics that I know of is you
can't run your memory in dual-channel mode, which is pretty inconsequential
for Myth (might make a bit of difference for HDTV, not sure). Perhaps you've
had a flakey board from the get-go.

> If your the Jarod that wrote the install guide then thanks abunch couldnt
> have done this with out that guide.

Yup, that'd be me. :-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE