[mythtv-users] Alternate to PRV-250 / Lower cost card recommendations?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 21 01:27:47 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 17:33, Thomas M. Pluth wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 October 2004 02:41 pm, Thomas M. Pluth wrote:
> >>   There is a new card, the PVR-150, which will hit the market in the
> >> next couple weeks, however, it's not yet supported by ivtv.  It will be
> >> cheaper than the PVR-250 (well under $100). If you're interested in
> >> seeing this be supported soon, I'm taking up a collection to get one of
> >> these cards as well as the new PVR-500 (A dual tuner PVR-250) for Chris
> >> Kennedy, so he can add support to the drivers for them.
> >>
> >> If you're interested in contributing, please email me off list and
> >> I'll let you know how to contribute.
> >
> > The problem with that is that these cards aren't similar to ivtv, AFAIK -
> > they'll more likely be supported by the cx88-blackbird driver that's in
> > the current v4l2 snapshots.
>
>   The information I've found so far on some of the windows PVR/MCE sites
> indicate that they're very similar to the PVR-250/350 cards.

Similar, yes. Especially since they'll likely use the same Hauppauge drivers
under Windows. But Windows ain't Linux. Keep in mind that there are cards
with the exact same marketing name (like Hauppauge's own WinTV-Go), where
under Linux, early revisions of the card uses the bt8x8 driver and the
current revision uses the cx88 driver. Under Windows, they use the same
driver.

> Same
> encoder chip but different A/V processing chip (1 chip instead of 2).

There's no direct access to the itvc16/cx23416 chip like there is on the older
cards, everything is interfaced through the cx2388x chip, thus the
cx88-blackbird driver is better suited for interfacing with these cards. Or
so I understand. The cx88-blackbird driver already works at least partially
with the AVerMedia M150, which is closer to a PVR-150 than a PVR-250 is.

> Chris seemed to think it would be do-able, and he is aware of what's
> going on with the blackbird.

That was his initial thought, I don't recall seeing any final thoughts from
him on this. The two projects do have some overlap, Jelle has used some ivtv
code in the cx88-blackbird code, but also a lot of the cx88 code. Definitely
interested to see how it plays out though, since I saw the PVR-150 listed for
like $62 somewhere.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com