[mythtv-users] nvidia tv-out - how do you do it? Better, but not there yet.

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Thu Oct 21 01:12:30 UTC 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 02:19, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Ok, I looked the FAQ over. And, I don't know what to do. I assume it has
> something to do with the inability for a user (or root for that matter
> -- i tried that) to switch to DISPLAY:1.
> There should be an easy way to do this, rather than running at init3
>
> As I mentioned, I have no problem running myth to the computer display with
>
> # export DISPLAY=:0
> # mythfrontend
>
> But, I receive the following error if
>
> # export DISPLAY=:1
> # mythfrontend
> mythfrontend: cannot connect to X server: 1

This behavior could be consistent with having the X server started by a
different user than the one connecting later.  Note that when user fubar
starts (owns) the X session, not even the user root can connect to it (not
without resorting to trickery at least).  So, be sure you start the X server
by the same account throughout.

But I think in that case the errormessage is slightly different:
unable to open display ""  is what I see here.

You could test to see if this would make any difference: adding the command
'xhost +' in between export DISPLAY=:1 and the rest.  However, again, xhost
must be run by the user owning the X session, otherwise it will just return a
failure.  Please note that running 'xhost +' is NOT secure, it will open up
your X session for everybody.  So use this only in a trusted environment !

Maarten