[mythtv-users] 2 short questions.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 19 21:03:29 UTC 2004

Ryan Steffes wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:09:29 -0400, Tom Dombrosky <tbdombrosky at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I think those processes are the multiple threads that mythbackend
>>uses.  I wouldn't kill them just to be safe.

It almost definitely is.  (You're running Linux 2.4, right?)

>>For the frontend you don't need X either.  Do a search on the mailing
>>list for directfb and qte.
>>

>This is possibly true, but unlikely.

Actually, extremely likely...

>What flavor of linux are you
>using?  ps should only show processes unless used with the various
>thread options (-L -T -m H m) but that doesn't, of course, force it
>always to be that way in linux.  Try:
>
>ps m aux|grep mythbackend
>
>It should show you if those are associated threads.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/89433#89433 .  In
a little while, you'll see the response beneath it that says why the
response that says that I'm wrong is wrong.  Also note that "ps m aux"
does not work properly for the same reason that the response that says
I'm wrong is wrong.

Wow.  The list's being down caused at least three separate threads
discussing this topic (one was a repost because the first posting didn't
come through, but there are two completely distinct threads from
different users going on at the same time about this behavior--which has
existed in *all* flavors of Linux throughout its history and was only
recently corrected with Linux 2.6).

Mike