[mythtv-users] Is this normal?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Oct 19 18:08:28 UTC 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 11:37 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Mike Wood wrote:
> >When I'm watching "live" TV, I see 5-6 instances of mythfrontend in
> > Top. Only one of them is using significant CPU, but they are all
> > using the same amount of memory.  Is this normal?
>
> Linux 2.4 shows threads--not processes--in top and ps output.
> Therefore, all 5-6 lines showing mythfrontend are actually threads in
> the same "process" (what you referred to as an instance).  The memory
> used is the total process memory--the values should not be added for
> each thread.

No, you're confusing the issue.  A distinct PID is a distinct PID, no
matter what.  How do you know, anyway, that mythfrontend is
multithreaded?

In my experience, when mythfrontend apepars to crash, it often leaves
behind some processes that must be manually killed.

> Therefore, it's completely normal.
>
> You'll see the same thing with mysqld, httpd, and many other
> processes on the system.

httpd, for one, uses fork.  It is *not* what you have described; these
are separate processes.