[mythtv-users] Advice for under-tele box?

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Tue Oct 19 17:48:33 UTC 2004

I have two of these cases.  They really are nice, though considerably
larger than Shuttles or mini-itx based systems.  One is a mythtv box,
the other a games machine for the missus.  They are a little bit
ventilation challenged, so getting it quiet enough may be tricky.
No floppy, front mounted flash card reader, firewire, usb and audio
ports.  Very cool hidden optical drive flap and trendy blue LEDs up front.

The case is also a tad tight to work inside, but Antec build quality is
excellent.  Standard uATX board, which broadens your choices
considerably.  Take care what kind of video card you pick as there isn't
much clearance between the power supply at the AGP slot, so if you pick
a fanless GPU you might have a very tight fit.
Comes with a 7V blower which takes up a PCI slot.

The HDs come with rubber mounting, just like a harley davidson, which
dampens drive noise pretty well.  Amazingly can mount up to 3 drives,
but I wouldn't.  My only concern with the case is the slightly poor
ventilation, so you have pick your components with that in mind.  Also
not very much clearance around the power supply so you will need to
measure the size of any CPU heatsink first.  They are also a little bit
pricey at around 100USD, since you can get a full size antec case for
the same money with less gizmos.  However they do serve a particular
niche and it is uATX not mini-itx which means your upgrade choices are
wider.

Yan