[mythtv-users] ATI remote with FC2 / mythtv 0.16 after Jarod's
mercury.morris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:56:30 UTC 2004
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:40:40 -0500, Mercury Morris
<mercury.morris at gmail.com> wrote:
> The process is still running, way way past
> the point of failure before. Then, just for
> excitement, my main monitor went dark
> so I had to SSH in to watch the progress,
> and write this note.
The rest of the story: Success!
The make modules step finished OK, the system
was re-booted to get the main monitor back.
But I wanted to see if I could go thru the process
and have only the ati_remote module updated,
instead of ALL of the modules.
So, I took a copy of ati_remote.c to which the patch
had been applied and just copied over the original.
I ran make modules again - nothing was updated.
This was upsetting to say the least after a long day.
So, I created a patch file by using diff on the original
and the version to which the patch had already been
applied. The difference between the two patch files
(David's and my newly-created one)? No TABs in mine.
Then, I just applied the new patch file in the usual way.
THIS TIME when I ran make modules, the process found
one and only one module that needed to be rebuilt- ati_remote!
I haven't tried the newly built ati_remote.ko, because I don't own
an ATI REMOTE WONDER, yet. But that step will be proof of the
whole process. I'm quite curious to see how the remote control
will work. Especially since the new ati_remote.ko is quite a bit
larger than the original ati_remote.ko. I'm hoping it's just something
like different compiler versions/options/whatever.
David, thanks again for all your help - I learned a lot from the
going thru all the steps. And the best part is- I've got a new
ati_remote.ko, and can make another one any time.
More information about the mythtv-users