[mythtv-users] ATI remote with FC2 / mythtv 0.16 after Jarod's guide

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:55:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 03:32:16 -0400, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> The build procedure for Linux 2.6 has changed rather significantly.  I
> use***:
>
> make mrproper 2>&1 | tee mkmrlog &&
> make menuconfig
> make 2>&1 | tee mklog &&
> make modules_install 2>&1 | tee mkmodlog
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1
> cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.8.1
> ln -sf System.map-2.6.8.1 /boot/System.map
>
> Note that there's no make dep (done automatically) and no make
> bzImage--all 2.6 kernels use bzip2 compression.  Also, the "make
> mrproper" is (still) very important, but note that it *will* remove your
> ".config" file--so make sure you keep a backup copy elsewhere if you
> want to reuse the configuration information.
>
> Mike
>
> *** Use at your own risk.  ;)

Thanks for the kernel-build info.

Although it may work for you, and I am not bold enough
to try it myself, not using make bzImage differs from the
guide I was referring to.  Specifically.

 http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

And I found this when I tried to find the "Official" guide over on
the Linux Documentation Project's website.

If ever there was a use for the tee command, building a kernel
is surely high on the list.  I do like your safe approach.

--
MM