[mythtv-users] FC2 and Jarod's guide Woes

Kevin Clayton kevin.clayton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:40:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:52:26 -0400, Vincent K. Britton
<vincent.britton at wiznet.com> wrote:
> I wanted to upgrade to the newest version of the nvidia drivers and MythTV.
>
> I figured since the installation went so well the first time why not just reformat and reinstall.
>
> I haven't had any luck watching tv on it yet.  The front end starts but when I try to watch live TV it appears to hang and I can do nothing with the keyboard.  If I telnet to that box I see X running at 100%.  All I can do is telnet in and reboot.
>
> On the installation I had some troubles with the nvidia drivers?  X won't start with "nvidia" in the xorg.conf as the Driver.  I had to change it to "nv" to get X to start.  I don't know if the 2 problems are related but I thought I'd mention it.

I think they are related.
Here is a link to another thread discussing X freezing (or actually
hogging the CPU) upon watching LiveTV.

In my case, it was because I was using the "nv" driver, when I correctly
updated xorg.conf to use the "nvidia: driver I could then successfully
watch LiveTV and other recorded programs.

I don't have a solution, but I'd certainly look into getting X to work
with the "nvidia" driver -- fix that, and I'd think you would be able to
also watch LiveTV.

Also try searching the mailing list archives using a variety of wordings
and descriptions for your problem. Good luck.