[mythtv-users] MPEG recordings

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Mon Oct 18 03:45:33 UTC 2004

Hi There,

I have MythTV 0.16 installed (using KnoppMyth), and had a couple of
questions, which hopefully you can help me with:

  1. I have several MPEG recordings that were recorded using 'mp1e' a while
ago, but I seem unable to play them in MythTV.  When I go into "Videos ->
Browse Videos" and select any of the recordings, all the information is
blank (which isn;t so much a bother), but also the "Runtime" is listed as "0
minutes".  When I try to play it, I get the "Loading..." show up on the
screen, but nothing plays.  Nothing shows up in the log files (i.e., I don;t
see any "mythfrontend" log files in the log directory).  Any ideas as to
what is wrong and how to fix it would be apprecited.

  2. I am using a PVR-250 to do my recordings.  Whle a recording is
happening, I notice almost no load or CPU usage on the recording server,
which seems to indicate that the PVR-250 is indeed doing the recording (and
therefore recording in MPEG-2 format), however, they are recorded with a
'.nuv' extension, and when they are finished, I cannot play them in a
"standard" media player, such as Windows Media Player, even if I rename the
extension to '.mpg'.  I am guessing that this is what is happening:

  - the PVR-250 is indeed recording in MPEG-2 format, and the '.nuv'
extension is just a standard extension that MythTV uses
  - when the recording is finished, MythTV is going through and flagging the
commercials, and it is while it is doing this that it is transcoding to
'.nuv' format

Is the above correct?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Sincerely,