[mythtv-users] ATI remote with FC2 / mythtv 0.16 after Jarod'sguide

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 21:26:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:16:52 +0200, KvB
<altijdweerdieautodrop at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not all that good with linux, so that patch was to hard for a linun
> dumbass like me :) I did it like this (this is a reply to a private mail):

I had great difficulty with the patch, too.  After struggling for hours
with it, re-reading "A Practical Guide To Linux", and Google-ing,
I finally decided that it's the tab characters in the original file on
my system that causes patch to quit processing at line 240.

So, I used two monitors, side-by-side, and carefully edited the
changes into the original file - but not on the system where I will
eventually install the more-MythTV-friendly version of ati_remote.

> --START MAIL--
> I have figured it out! Forget the whole LIRC thing... just remove the lirc
> modules (type apt-get remove instead of apt-get install with the 2 lirc
> lines in jarod's guide). It turns out that fc2 already has built in support
> for the ati remote. When LIRC isn't installd (oh and be sure to remove those
> lines from modprobe.conf) and you reboot, you'll see that some buttons
> already work in your regular terminal (press 1, and a 1 will appear). The
> reason that the other buttons don't work is that those buttons don't appear
> on a regular keyboard. Now, when you browse to
> http://remotew.free.fr/linux_en.htm you'll see another guide... DONT'T USE
> STEP 1, since your remote is already working, you can skip this step. In
> step 2 the guide describes how to map the other buttons too!
> >
> >Good luck, and let me know if it worked out.
> >
> >Kees.
> >
> >>From: "damon wanamaker" <dwanamak at hotmail.com>
> >>To: altijdweerdieautodrop at hotmail.com
> >>Subject: ATI remote with FC2 / mythtv 0.16 after Jarod's guide
> >>Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:13:49 -0400
> >>
> >>Hi There,
> >>
> >>I have the same problem, I would reply to you in the forums but I usually
> mess it up and start a new thread, but feel free to paste this in your
> thread if you like.
> >>
> >>I am using the same basic setup as you are, this setup is for my frontend,
> however I don't think that is relevant to the problem.  I install using
> Jarod's FC2 guide and the ATI (link to litwiller).  I use IRW to test and
> sucessfully use the circular button controls the mouse and some of the
> keypresses respond on screen. It even seems to work in myth at first.
> >>
> >>THen after the reboot.... All goes to hell....  No ATI Remote, and OS lock
> ups after booting.  Random Freezes.  Starting/stopping LIRC does nothing.
> >>
> >>I have tried messing around with different configs, mixing and matching
> the litweller and Jarod setups but to no avail.
> >>
> >>Can you let me know if you figure this one out and I will do the same.
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>Damon.
> >>

> -- END MAIL--

I wasn't able to follow the material right above, so I'll just say
Good Luck to you, and thanks for adding your posts to the
mailing list.  The ATI REMOTE WONDER, looks like quite
a friendly remote, for quite a few environments.  Thanks to you,
I found out about it, and with a bit of luck here, will be able to
use it to make MythTV fit into my own TV, Music, etc. environment.