[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 18 01:02:28 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 12:58, Anthony Vito wrote:
> Jarod Wrote:
> > here (48), and also works fine at 50. ABC, CBS, WB and PBS all come in
> > around 60-70, no problems with any of them.
>
>  No WB here :'(  All I want to watch is gilmore girls! ( yes, my only
> source of content is OTA digital, no cable, no NTSC. )

Heh. The only thing I don't get in HD now is UPN, but I think I have slight
interest in maybe one show on that network...

> > Are you running a straight-up pcHDTV 1.3 driver, or are you using the
> > 1.4ulmo patches also?
>
>  I have to give credit where credit is due. I use the 2.6.7 patch and
> videodev.h found here.
>
> http://www.nop.org/inkling/dtv/

Huh, cool.

>  This is where I read the LED status being in the driver. He patched
> it to be feed out with the signal strength. Then his pchdtvr program
> picks it up. Nice program BTW. He claims he doesn't use Myth, oh well.
> I patched this against the 2.6.7 kernel and have had great success....
> No sure it really differs much from the 2.6.6 patch on pchdtv.com
> functionally, ( diff between them spits out a lot )

The documentation on that site seems to indicate the LED status monitoring is
the only significant addition. Your mention of it got me thinking about
looking at the lights on my card while trying to tune NBC and FOX (both right
around 50). I took a look at the lights while running the signal program, and
with readings in the 45-52 range, the green light was locked in solid, so I
went ahead and manually edited my db to set the low-end threshold to 45
(since the slider only goes down to 50), and wouldn't you know it, even with
signal strength fluctuating between 45-47 (on FOX), I can watch them just
fine.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com