[mythtv-users] Sound and video issues with FC2 and Hauppauge 350

harry colquhoun colquhoun at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 05:35:45 UTC 2004

I've been following Jarod's fantastic Myth install guide for FC2, and
things were going really smooth until it came time to hook my computer
up to the TV.  I'm waaaay over my head and getting a bit lost and
frustrated with the problems I'm experiencing, and would really
appreciate any help I can get!

I've followed Jarod's guide to a tee, doing all the necessary steps as
stated for my PVR 350.

First problem:  I thought I had audio set up ("/usr/bin/aplay
/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav" worked when I had PC speakers
hooked up), but now that I'm trying to use audio-out from the 350 I
get no sound.  I suspected a problem with msp3400 as stated in the
guide, and when I went to
"/lib/modules/$MYKERNEL/kernel/drivers/media/video" I found a
msp3400.ko but no msp3400.o   What step did I miss?  How can I fix
this?

Second problem: When I try to watch TV via myth (or watch a recorded
show), I get a black screen.  With the live TV it shows the system
time in the top left and the channel and show description at the
bottom, but just a black picture.  I was able to do the test capture
successfully, I was able to display the test pattern on the TV, and
was even able to get live TV through the computer onto the TV (outside
of myth).  Help. Please.

I've spent hours trying to search down answers for these problems with
no luck.  As you can probably tell from my questions, I'm not exactly
a Linux expert.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Harry