[mythtv-users] FC2 and Jarod's guide Woes

Vincent K. Britton Vincent.Britton at wiznet.com
Sat Oct 16 20:52:26 UTC 2004

I wanted to upgrade to the newest version of the nvidia drivers and MythTV.

I figured since the installation went so well the first time why not just reformat and reinstall.

I haven't had any luck watching tv on it yet.  The front end starts but when I try to watch live TV it appears to hang and I can do nothing with the keyboard.  If I telnet to that box I see X running at 100%.  All I can do is telnet in and reboot.

On the installation I had some troubles with the nvidia drivers?  X won't start with "nvidia" in the xorg.conf as the Driver.  I had to change it to "nv" to get X to start.  I don't know if the 2 problems are related but I thought I'd mention it.

In case it is relivant I will append my xorg.conf and and modprobe.conf.  I think there may be something of interest in the console window from which I start mythtfrontend.  However since X crashes/becomes hung I can't see it.  Is there a way to start mythtfronted while outputing the info to a text file?

Nothing of interest shows up in the mythbackend.log file either.

Any help/Guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Vince

#modprobe.conf begin
alias eth0 forcedeth
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-6111
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
#ivtv end
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
# End modprobe.conf

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config
Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier     "Default Layout"
 Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
 InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection
Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
 RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
 ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
 ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
 ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
 FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection
Section "Module"
 Load "v4l"
 Load  "dbe"
 Load  "extmod"
 Load  "fbdevhw"
 Load  "glx"
 Load  "record"
 Load  "freetype"
 Load  "type1"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds"  "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
 Identifier  "Keyboard0"
 Driver      "kbd"
 Option     "XkbModel" "pc105"
 Option     "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier  "Mouse0"
 Driver      "mouse"
 Option     "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 Option     "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
 Identifier   "Monitor0"
 VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName    "ViewSonic PS790"
 HorizSync    30.0 - 95.0
 VertRefresh  50.0 - 180.0
 Option     "dpms"
EndSection
Section "Device"
 Identifier  "Videocard0"
 Driver      "nv"
 VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
 BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Screen0"
 Device     "Videocard0"