[mythtv-users] AIW radeon

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 14 23:57:39 UTC 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 13:55, Luke Albers wrote:
> > capture.  The gatos team apparently has no desire to enhance the V4L
> > driver to support the functions needed to it to work with V4L programs
> > like MythTV
>
> are you familiar enough with the V4L drivers to be able to elaborate a
> little more on what is needed?

Sort of. But like I said, this has been covered on this very list in the past,
the information is in the mailing list archives (I know, because I posted
some of it).

> What V4L functions are needed to work
> with mythTV?

In short, Myth requires planar video, the AIW driver only supports packed YUV.

> It doesnt seem to me like there is a good reason why this
> couldnt work, if there was a bit more work put into it (correct me if I
> am wrong)

I'm not sure if its a software issue, or just that the chipset used on AIWs
(at least older ones) sucks. I've seen evidence that the root of the problem
is that the bt82x chipset used on many AIWs doesn't support planar video. I'm
not even sure what chipsets are used on the latest AIW cards, or if gatos
supports them at all, so I can't comment there.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...