[mythtv-users] Deleting Recordings does not release Disk Space

Tim t.tait at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 21:33:47 UTC 2004

William wrote:

>>Any good threads I should read on why Ext3 is a "BAD" choice.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Eric
>>

>The issue with ext3 is the amount of time it takes to delete a large file.
>It takes 10x longer to delete things than XFS. I dont have any links handy
>but a google should find you plenty of material.

The benchmarks I have seen have put Ext3 AHEAD of XFS for fast large
file deletion. To quote from SGI's own paper
<http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/papers/filesystem-perf-tm.pdf>
regarding XFS deletion:

"One shortcoming can be the poor file deletion performance,
which is constrained by synchronous disk writes"

Certainly on my XP2100 system, a delete of a 4GB file on 200GB ext3 fs
takes less than a second.

Tim