[mythtv-users] Auto-login and associated problems...KDE 3.3 problem?

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Thu Oct 14 17:12:45 UTC 2004

Douglas,

I tried that, but it didn't work so well for my particular situation.  I
think it blocks other stuff from initializing.  I found writing a simple
script to start X and mythfrontend using /etc/inittab to work much better.

Something like:

#!/bin/sh
startx
fvwm &
exec mythfrontend

I don't remember exactly and my front end boxes are off right now.
This is called via /etc/inittab, replace this line

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

with

x:5:respawn:/etc/startmyth.sh

or something like that.  Then if X or mythfrontend throws a wobbler then
you can simply CNTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE and it restarts myth and X without
bringing down the machine.  I use that on my frontend boxen.

It's nice because I don't have to start KDE or GNOME which are frankly
too heavyweight for this particular job, and it allows easy restarts in
the event of "bugs".  What Bugs ? I don't see no stinkin bugs. :D

Also don't forget to set appropriate values in your XF86Config file
about display size.  There's this weird bug you can get if the values
aren't appropriate for the physical screen dimensions and it sets the
font to TINY unreadable point sizes.  This is especially noticeable on a
TV screen running 800x600.

Yan