[mythtv-users] Re: Performance really sucks here :(

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Thu Oct 14 14:42:50 UTC 2004

About the generic VESA driver versus the Unichrome driver, there is a middle
ground.  I used Jarod's guide as well with FC2 and I found that it installed a
VIA driver that allows me to use xv.  I still get high CPU usage for most
things, but it is usable, at least.

To get it to work, just go into your xorg.conf file and add the following
settings:

Under "Modules" put:

Load   "via"

Under "Device" for the graphics adapter:

change Driver "vesa" to Driver  "via"

For me, this simple change made things run MUCH better!  It also didn't
require me to do any of the Unichrome stuff.  I'm still trying to get
Unichrome drivers to work, but I probably won't try to hard until the
Unichrome XvMC stuff comes out in the release version of Myth.  I heard 0.16.1
should have it.  Hopefully it will be here soon.

Micah