[mythtv-users] Auto-login and associated problems...KDE 3.3 problem?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 14 01:26:54 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 18:04, Douglas Beck wrote:
> Hey all, I couldn't find the answer asked so I guess I will.  I've been
> using Jarod's guide as the bible as I've been getting my myth box up and
> running and I've run into a couple items I can't seem to overcome.
>
> First, I'm running Fedora Core 2 and I've installed KDE 3.3.  I'm
> wondering if KDE3.3 is the problem.  I can't seem to setup auto-login.
> In fact, I can't even change the look of the login screen.  It's like
> the settings are not being used.  Additionally I can't disable power
> management on my monitor or have things in my rc.local execute.  These 3
> things all seem to be related.  Maybe not.
>
> Hopefully someone has overcome these problems because I'm at a loss for
> what to try to solve them.

You've likely got kdm running as your login manager instead of gdm now, and
you're making gdm-specific changes, thus no effect.
Edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and change the value for DISPLAYMANAGER in there
from kde to gnome, or open up the KDE Control Center and navigate to System
Administration -> Login Manager and you should be able to figure out the kdm
variant.

I don't think the other things are related to the first. Some people report
that you have to split up the xset stuff I suggest in rc.local to get it to
work (but it works fine for me as is, haven't tried anything else yet). Maybe
something in there is causing a hang that makes it seem like nothing else in
rc.local is getting executed, I dunno. Should work... Try two lines:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE