[mythtv-users] Onboard sound full-duplex ?

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Wed Oct 13 20:27:26 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 21:27, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 October 2004 03:06 pm, Maarten wrote:

> > > Why would you be using multiple soundcards for playback?
> >
> > Hm.  Okay, so maybe I'm confused, but I need a soundcard each for each
> > BT8x8 capture card, right ?  So either both those soundcards need to be
> > able to do full-duplex (otherwise live TV and playback will have no
> > sound) OR one must have the possibility within mythtv to declare one card
> > capable of recording and playback, and the other capable of _only_
> > recording. (And mythtv reacting accordingly...)  Is this assumption
> > correct so far ? Note that I'm _not_ talking about PVR250 cards, but
> > about BT8x8 cards.
>
> You're  not even close to being correct.   Why would you be using more than
> one sound card for _playback_?  Why would you think that the device used to
> playback audio is tied in any way to the device used to record audio?

Hm, okay.  Thanks :-)  So you're effectively saying that I should define (in
Mythtv Setup) that my good soundcard is /dev/dsp0 and my 'bad' soundcard is /
dev/dsp1 (and connecting my amplifier to /dev/dsp0 output of course) and all
will work fine, despite soundcard 2 (/dev/dsp1) being substandard.  Right ?

You ask why I thought that ?  I guess I assumed that since the TV cards and
soundcards are tied together (with the little jumper wires) that that also
applied for playback.  Wrongly so, I now realise...

If so, that's great news.  On to my next problem, tweaking everything like
resolutions and recording filters et al so that one, lightly overclocked,
Athlon 2600+ can indeed cope with two simultaneous BT8x8 recordings...
Which will be a difficult task upon itself, if I read it correctly. ;-)

> Isaac

Thanks,
Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.