[mythtv-users] Need Help in setting up MythTV system

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 19:57:01 UTC 2004

--- clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> Ive been reading the MythTV lists now for a couple
> of months, and Ive read
> whatever
> else I can find that is pointed to by the MythTV /
> pcHDTV sites, but if
> anything,
> I'm confused.

The first thing we need to know to advise you is...
just what do you want to do??

You mention the pcHDTV card, which allows you to
record digital over-the-air (OTA) signals.  It does
not allow you to record digital cable or satellite
channels.  It does a mediocre job at recording analog
TV signals (from what I've read).  If you only want to
record OTA HDTV, this is the card for you.  Otherwise,
you'd be better off with a PVR-250 or -350 card for
analog signals.

Why? Because the Hauppage cards encode the NTSC
(analog) signal into a MPEG2 digital directly, without
involving your CPU.  This makes the computational load
very low to encode the signal.  (The pcHDTV card
doesn't even need to do this since the digital signal
is already MPEG2).

So, first decide what you want to do.  Then you can
seek advice here on the best components for the task.