[mythtv-users] Re: minimalist hardware for mythtv backend using PVR-350 or PVR-250?

Andrew Plumb aplumb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 13:40:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:55:19 -0700, Yan-Fa Li <yanfali at best.com> wrote:
> That sounds like so much fun.  You have to post pictures of this when
> you're done!  Looking forward to seeing your project completed.  Don't
> think USB1 will cut it.  Only 12mbits/sec.  That's about 1MB/s.  Also
> even USB2 drives are pretty CPU intensive, so you might want to
> reconsider.  That's why a lot of people use Firewire, lower CPU load.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to the internal IDE drive for direct-to-disk
storage.  USB mass storage devices should be hot-swappable though, for
offloading data via nuvexport.  Ditto for serving up files via NFS
and/or Samba...  I like the NAS (network attached storage) concept
because it keeps the functionality completely platform independent.

...And I won't wait until it's done to post pictures either. ;-)  I've
been looking for an excuse to dive back into LFS, so I'm glad to see
others are already doing MythTV on LFS successfully.

If you don't know what to do, do something.