[mythtv-users] Unable to get video playback in MythTV

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Wed Oct 13 00:15:00 UTC 2004

Hi Brian,

a few more questions.  So if I understand this right you have a 2.4
Celeron running Mythfrontend and Mythbackend, using what to capture ?
A PVR 250 or some other capture card.  I just realized we have no idea
what you're using or doing :D  BTW, 256MB is a bit low for running X, I
know it's embarrasing.  You might want to upgrade to 512 to get a
slightly more responsive system.

You said in your previous mail you are using tvtime with no problems.
Did you compile mythtv with ALSA support ?  You have to uncomment it in
the settings.pro file.  Then you have to go to the settings, I think
it's under general and point your audio from /dev/dsp to ALSA:default

Don't forget to create the alsa device files and a simple
/etc/asound.conf file.  You can find instructions on how to do that on
the alsa-project.org website under the card database for snd-intel8x0

If you are running redhat you can start alsa automagically using:

chkconfig --add alsasound on
service alsasound start

Also really dumb question.  What exactly is your source of video ?
PVR250 ?  Can you dump the following:

cat /proc/interrupts > /tmp/hardware_log
lspci -v >> /tmp/hardware_log
dmesg >> /tmp/hardware_log

and attach that to a mail to the list so we can see what your system
thinks it's doing :D

Thanks

Yan