[mythtv-users] Why only numeric IP addresses work?

Blues Guy bluesguy at stny.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 23:19:10 UTC 2004

Scott Mazur wrote:

>>>Is there any plans for Myth to resolve host names?
>>>

>>That would be the job of a nameserver.  If you don't have one on
>>your network you could set up your /etc/hosts file with the correct
>>hostname/IP address mappings (this also would require static IP
>>addresses).
>>

>It's not a network configuration problem.  It's reasonable expectation that
>Myth understand domain names as well as IP addresses.
>It's not rocket science.

Myth does understand hostnames in the standard way.  Look at the source
:-).  It works here, and it has since I started using it in .13 (and
certainly even before that), so it's most likely a problem on your end.
Did you muck with your nsswitch.conf?  If your hosts and resolv.conf are
setup fine, but your nsswitch.conf doesn't tell your system to use them,
they don't do much good. :-)